Pages

Thursday, April 3, 2014

My Story

Day 3 Cushie Blogger Challenge:

I have told my Cushing's story many times, to many people, in many different ways, and yet I am still finding out how little people know about how Cushing's has affected my life.  That is just one of the reasons why I love the 30 day blogger challenge.  Getting the word out about Cushing's is so important to me, because if someone had not shared their information with me I may not be here today.

So here is my story:  I started to believe something was wrong when I was a junior in college, although in hindsight, looking back some subtle symptoms may have started as early as junior high for me.  However, in college my symptoms became blatant.  I started having problems with depression, low energy, and a severe inability to sleep and anxiety.  I had some trouble in school, was sent home and told I could not return until I saw a psychiatrist.  Which for me was just crazy because I have always been very positive and upbeat about life, I loved school, and all the activities I was involved in, but something was just wrong.  I was wrongly misdiagnosed as Bipolar at the time, and for the next few years all of the symptoms I brought up to various practitioners were written off because of the mental health diagnosis.  By the time I finished college I had gained about 60lbs from when I started, I suffered from insomnia, muscle weakness, and was very susceptible to infections.  My plan had been to go to medical school after college but I was not doing well physically or mentally so I moved back home to Arizona and began a graduate school program in social work.

I actually did fairly well for a few years, my mental health improved, but I continued to gain weight and become weaker, and I was constantly plagued by infections.  I sought out help from multiple medical practitioners.  I was tested for everything from lupus to HIV to no avail.  I had no answers, and more often than not was told that all of my symptoms were just in my head and due to me being mentally ill.

After I finished my graduate work I went to work as a social worker at a children's hospital, and after a few years I realized how much I missed medicine and I decided to try to get into medical school.  In 2005 I was admitted to the University of Arizona as a new medical student, and things started off great.  I thrived in school and loved living in Tucson.  I was at my highest weight ever, but I seemed to be handling both going to school and working part time.  But less than a year into school I came down with meningitis and after battling that infection things went downhill rather quickly.  I was plagued with severe migraines that kept me from attending class.  I had a very difficult time focusing and my memory was failing.  For the first time in my life I was having difficulty with my academics.  By halfway though my second year I was sick all of the time, amazingly fatigued, in constant pain, and drowning academically.  However, something good did come out of all this.  During a class one day on endocrinology we discussed Cushing's disease.  I sat there with my jaw on the floor as the professor ticked off the signs and symptoms and I realized I met nearly every single one.

Around the same time my mom read an article in Reader's Digest about the 5 most misdiagnosed diseases and she told me she thought I had one of them.  These incidents led me on the path to diagnosis.  It was a very difficult, winding, and painful (both physically and emotionally) path, but I eventually found a doctor who would listen and actively worked to help me find answers.  In 2009 I was officially diagnosed with Cushing's disease, and in 2010 I underwent an endonasal transsphenoidal surgery to remove a tumor from my pituitary gland at the base of my brain.  After surgery I had about 6 months of feeling great, almost normal, but it was soon apparent that I had not received a cure from the surgery to remove my pituitary tumor.

I have spent the last 2 years re-testing, having MRIs, trying medications to mitigate my symptoms, and analyzing and weighing the risks and benefits of different treatment options.  Finally, there is a light at the end of the tunnel for me, as I was recently cleared to have a bilateral adrenalectomy; a surgery where my adrenal glands will be removed.  I will be trading Cushing's disease for Addison's disease, likely death for life long dependence on hormones, and hopefully pain and suffering for a new chance at life!

No comments:

Post a Comment